Heat pumps operate on the same principles as refrigerators and the well-known to us air-conditioning appliances
The natural flow of heat is to be transferred from high to low temperature conditions. The Heat Pump manages to reverse this flow. So, in the case of a residence, the heat pump e.g. during the summer, draws heat from the interior of the house and expels it to the environment. As the interior loses heat it gets colder. In winter, on the contrary, the heat pump draws heat from the environment and directs it to the interior of the residence in order to increase its temperature.
In essence, the heat pump uses the environment to heat or cool a room. The use of electricity is required only during the process of pumping the heat from the environment and the consumer pays electricity only for this.
Most heat pumps are considered renewable energy sources as they pump the largest amount of the required energy from the environment. They are specially designed to best meet the multiple needs of a modern house and are considered as the most economical option for house heating.
Heat Pump Types
• Heat pumps air to air (air cooled).
Air is the heating source and it is used to provide cooling or heating. This is how the well-known wall mounted air-conditioners work.
• Heat pumps air to water (air cooled)
In this case the air is used as a heating source and the water as a heat transferring medium.
• Heat pumps water to air (for geo-exchanger)
Heat is pumped from the water and the air is the means of transfer.
• Heat pumps water to water(for geo-exchanger).
In this last category heat is pumped from water and water is the means of transfer. br>
Heat Pump advantages
• Function expenses don’t have to be prepaid.
• Electricity charges are not subject to change like solid and liquid fuels.
• Installation of heat pumps is easy and fast.
• A fuel tank, chimney or partition walling are not required thus avoiding extra construction costs.
• No specific room is required as the external unit is compact and can be easily installed on a balcony.